05 December 2011

First Snow-Puppet Show

We got our first snow of the season today.  Well, some people did.  None at my house on the east side of the county, but the west and north side got their roads covered.  Needless to say the comments on Facebook ranged from child-like glee to Scrooge personified.

It was very early for snow in our area and it decided to disappear in the twinkling of an eye.  But, hey, when it gets up to 44 degrees, snowflake demise soon follows.  Personally, I like the way it snows here.  We don't get enough of it for it to get old. 

But, we also don't get enough of it for the state to invest in snow removal equipment.  This brings everything to a grinding halt when it makes it's appearance.  Lends an air of excitement at the prospect of it.  Every loaf of bread and every gallon of milk disappear from grocery store shelves and children wake up during the night to see if there's enough white stuff to cancel school.  (I'm just as bad about checking throughout the night!)

Having grown up in south Louisiana, snow is still exciting for me.  I know, I know, if I lived in Michigan I probably wouldn't feel that way, but I so look forward to flinging back the curtains, turning on the Christmas tree lights, getting a cup of hot cocoa (homemade, of course), a good book, and just watching it fall.
Now, if I just had a fireplace....


Saturday night, a group called "Band of Believers" came and brought a puppet show to our church.  It was a lot of fun for young and old alike.


This sketch was done from a pic I took back in the summer.  We had an awful dry spell this past summer.  Pastures burned up, trees died and 100 degree temperatures for weeks at a time.  When we did get fortunate enough to get a small shower it was always localized.  It would drop a little here and a little there.

We have more than made up for it recently.  We've had days and days of rain.  It's overcast and dreary and I'm missing the sun,but it has been so welcome!!!
 Did this sketch waiting for my mother at the doctor's office.  FINALLY learning to take advantage of every chance to sketch.  Starting to fill up sketch books and it's such a blast!! 

'till next time-
Sherry

 


No comments:

Post a Comment